Monday, June 16, 2014

Hello it's me: a Bat Mitzvah, a Half....Rambling

I haven't been blogging lately, and to be honest, I haven't felt like it. Whether it has been the weather, school, feeling kind of down, or trying to keep busy with "stuff", it hasn't worked.
I DID have the best time in South Portland, ME at my friend Mark and Chris's house over Memorial Day weekend! They live near the best bakery called The Scratch Baking Co (choc brownies to die for) and a great trail (Greenbelt) that goes out to Bug's Light. Plus, we had fun bar hopping in Portland, saw the Richard Estes photography exhibit at the Portland Art Museum, and went to a wonderful marina/bar/restaurant in Yarmouth called the Dockside.

This past weekend, Stu and Cindy's daughter Rachel had her Bat Mitzvah. So fun and funny with the selfie shots!
People started to get ready posing when I walked around the party with my phone, and I didn't even get a pic of Rachel!! Above is my best "model" shot, as this dress is a fave, and I feel that my running legs can be shown off:) The only thing that hurt....my feet in those heels!

Topic of discussion at the party.....running, drinking, Fenway Spartan, which races to sign up for, and shopping! The best part of the blabbering? VACATION! School is OUT on Thursday, and I'm heading West for 2 weeks....YAY!! Okay, there is a race involved:) And will bike ride during this trip, for sure. A nice change of pace.

Anywhoooo, Gina, the Queen of Planks, drove with me and I learned this was an adventure for her. Her first time in a temple AND to a Bat Mitzvah. We talked nonstop on the ride south: MEN! Kids! School! Clothes!





Mom, bro Rob, and me.  Then there's dad and below 3 brothers: Phil, Rob, Stu.        Cousins Louis (a cancer survivor) and Neil (Bar Mitzvah 2 weeks ago)


Cindy.....nephew Austin....niece Abby (ran Boston Marathon for her as she was born with heart defects).


 And before all of this Bat Mitzvah selfie business was the Runners World Heartbreak Hill Half, starting at Boston College in Newton. Oh boy....the return to Heartbreak!! Nothing has changed (since I ran the Boston Marathon last in 2006). Still the same hill, except this time it was friggin HOT and my heel was KILLING ME!!!
Who put more than one hill in this neighborhood anyway?? We started out going up hill!! I must say, I did have Bart Yasso running in front of me for a bit (TALL), and then I met up with the RW editor David Wiley, adorable, who told me he has family in the area near where I live (so cool), and I met the nicest people from PA, NJ, MA, and NY. All of us were plodding along helping each other along the way!!
I would definitely recommend this to anyone. RW put on a great event for the weekend. Check your calendars for next June! Stuart and our friend John ran this too (while their wives slept).



Yesterday, I had a hard time getting out to do a long run, but I did. Next up for me is the BAA 10K on Sunday. I'll meet my niece Larissa and her YOUNG gal pals and we will run around Boston Common and Back Bay. I'm hoping my heel will cooperate.
Also coming up in July, the Jamestown Half Marathon, RI with Nancy. It will be nice to run with her and see her family for the weekend. I'm sure you may find us hanging out on Bowen's Wharf (Newport) for a cold libation too....maybe.


Before I go, I couple of plugs:
I love my Sparkly Soul head bands (Heartbreaker for RW #HHHalf and the Robins Egg blue).
Nature's Bakery fig bars....YUMMY! Peach Apricot is my favorite.
City Sports, a local store, has their own line of fitness clothing, reasonably priced. They also have an outlet in downtown Boston, also online. Worth the check!



7 comments:

  1. You're as always amazing Jill!!! Can I just say how jealous I am that you are done Thursday????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that Boston cap...and I want to do that Heart Break race

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous that you and Nancy are running another half together! Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that picture of us!!!!!!! Loveeeeeee all the other pics as well!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time at the Jamestown Half with Nancy! When I was in Plymouth a couple of years ago I was going to try to run that half but it seemed like a crazy idea trying to fit in a half. Looking back, I should have run it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz! Miss you. Hope you are doing well. Next year. It's a beautiful course. Check my new post.

      Delete
  6. Well, you seem to be having fun with family and friends which is great. ..and you have
    summer VACATION coming up. What a concept!!

    I'm so busy at my new job at (my the same company) I don't have much time for blogging etc. I am training
    for Chicago though...can't abandon THAT.

    Enjoy the Jamestown half!
    -p

    ReplyDelete