Sunday, July 20, 2014

Inspiration Award while I adjust my sails.....

 It's one week since I exercised, and I can honestly say, although I am pissed that I have a bone spur, I am happy to have a rest from running. Dr said give myself 3 weeks and then try slow jogging. I learned more about Plantar F and it EFFIN' sucks. However, it could be worse and it's not, my left foot is actually getting better, except the heel still feels tender. So no running just hanging out: lunch with friends, not over eating, shopping, DVD's, and Jackie's Arm Challenge.

Today I went on the exercise bike for 35 min. No matter what, my foot feels sensitive, so it's baby steps. I'd rather cycle than walk the 'hood.
I'm learning about myself. I need this time and I'm not losing my mind. I don't feel guilty and am actually pleased that the arm challenge has been kicking my butt enough. I still feel strong. Enough said'.......and THANK YOU to all my blogging peeps and others, who are making me feel better with words of encouragement. I'm trying to turn this injury around to be positive. I will hit the road soon enough, but I WILL NOT mess with my foot. 

So....... Jen from RunningWTG nominated for an Inspiration Award. How kind but truly, I do what I do because I love to, especially when it involves doing for others and helping. Now I may be a little older than most of my group that I run with, but it's so fun to know they are comfortable around me (I'm comfortable around them!). It's such a different ball game running nowadays, since I began 18 yrs ago. Thanks so much Jen!!!
I'm supposed to share 7 random facts about me plus I have a bonus fact. Share a fact about yourself, if you dare:)

1. I have to have coffee in the morning. I love it and want it. Stronger the better. Turbo - great!
Hot or cold; in bed or out of bed......the bonus is to stay in bed or sit at the beach with it and read a book. Just don't bother me.
2. I used to be able to bite my toes. My dad made my brothers and I stretch. I am pissed that I can't do that now, and forget about biting, just let me get my foot close enough to my mouth so I can insert it when I open my big mouth!
3. I am addicted to Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and The Gap, particularly for fitness clothes/gear. I love vests too. Patagonia is my big splurge and I love City Sports in Boston!!
4. I give a lot of books away and clothing to homeless shelters. I'm lucky to have what I have, so I pass stuff on to those less fortunate. Also, my heart feels good doing for veterans. I've seen firsthand the backlash of war. I'm a big supporter of Wounded Warrior Project. Click on to learn how you can help.
5. If I'm not running I love to ride a bike ( and watch mindless tv, yet I'm addicted to Public TV). I'm thrilled that I am getting back to biking. It helps to have friends that ride. I used to ride a lot with my friend Gregg (from Atlanta) 20 years ago. Now I ride with my friend Mark from Maine and Chuck from CO.  So much fun! Great for cross training.
6. If I wasn't teaching, I'd be a sports journalist/commentator but that idea got shot down in 1980 by my guidance counselor. Oh well....
7. I pierced the 4th hole on my ear lobe in 9th grade. My friend Cheri helped me after I streaked my bangs blond. She pierced the 2nd and 3rd holes. My dad was livid, but that was my rebellious way. I hung out with smart kids but I always had a devilish side to me (as long as no one got hurt). I did get punished BTW.

 
And now......
A new hat for the summer. Love the trucker style. One of my favorite brands VV :)

Finally, the Arm Challenge set up by Jackie Enos (follow her on Instagram for great fitness/nutrition stuff. Click her link on the side bar for Beach Body. I'm seeing results and happy about that!!!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you!!!!! YOU are truly inspiring!!!! I love your ever happy attitude, your sense of adventure. I wish we lived closer because I would totally crash your running dates with Nancy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a rockstar Jill hands down!!! I know this heel is sucky but you know what it takes to be a lifelong runner!!! You are Marshalls queen...still need to give you budget so you can shop for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you are still dogged by the heel, it's so annoying when injuries happen but makes us not take the running for granted, which is an important lesson , no? It seems you know it will pass, then onward! Not a bad idea to have a break anyway. It's a great idea to channel the energy into other strength training (which we all normally neglect...but NOT YOU! ;)

    Thanks for the info on the Cape Cod trail it ..it was sweet 8)

    Marshalls! OH! I remember then from when I lived as a kid in Bedford. They survive?

    -paul




    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I wasn't injured, I took weeks off and you're right, it does allow you to know yourself better and learn to deal with things outside of just running if off. Glad you're able to at least focus on arm challenge to keep your sanity!!!

    I giggled at your streaked blonde bangs- when I was a senior in hs my mom went out of town so I BLEACHED my hair platinum blonde- my dad WAS pissed to say the least and I got grounded (and they took me to hair dresser the following day)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what I did??? I just got some reddish/blonde streaks in my hair!! Didn't go too crazy but it came out better than I thought. YUP....time off helps but would have preferred not with an injury;( Hope all is well!!!

      Delete
  5. Biking is good...

    Here's a good link for the Wounded Warrior Project by some goof ball

    https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/individual-fundraising/DaveZaro2014/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there.
    I'm in your camp now. Got some PF, dammit. A first but not suprising given all the running
    I've been doing. ...8(

    From what I've read there's no correlation with bone spurs and PF. Zillions of people have bone spurs and DON't have PF.

    Not that that is any help.

    Stationary biking is my new black...8)

    ReplyDelete