Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Tumble & Tackle (and a new blog name: OneToughCookieChick )

Blogsters beware: A new blog name, for a new start (well, sort of new:)):
My changeover will be One Tough Cookie Chick
As you know, my original title was One Tough Cookie and a Beer. I always loved that one because it was me (a tough cookie) and the beer was BB (a total beer lover), and we shared a lot together. He was my other half. So after our break up, the title hurt too much, but now I'm ready to take PART of it back and my BRF Nancy is helping me (thankfully).

I'm tumbling down but picking myself back up. I can run up a hill and I can run down a hill, and although I'm a weeeee bit stressed, I'm working hard at restarting my life back home.
Deep breathes.....DEEP breathes....

So here's how I'm keeping it together (in between unpacking, job hunting, getting health insurance, finding a car....),
I'm:
- Sticking to a running schedule but allowing myself a flex day and 2 days rest. Flex day is walking, running up and down stairs, spinning, lifting or anything that means my heart rate goes up, even if it's only 30 min. 
- Stretch, stretch, stretch. Need I say more? I love Tone and Tighten on Twitter, Jill Conyer's site, and referring back to my Personal Training binder from 2004. I only hold a move at my comfort level. It's a little at a time. I'm a petite ball of muscle, so my overall flexibility is basically ZIP, ZILCH, NIL, ZERO.
- I'm eating but also sticking to my favorite snacks. (That's a ruby red grapefruit, but I love all kinds of fruit and cashews, walnuts, and choc chip cookies are missing:)).


This past weekend, I tackled the Howling Wolf half marathon in Stoneham, MA. It was a blast, especially since I had my brother Stuart and friend Gina there. Also, it was great to bump into other runners who I've seen at races and to meet new ones while running. I knew it would be a challenging course and quite pleased with my time. It's not like the younger me runner, but I ran the course and finished 2:08:41.





I'm loving the HokaOneOne Conquest. They're cushioned with stability so they do a great job securing my foot, since my PF flares up every so often. 
Although I must say, since my BRF Nancy entered us in contest and we won Saucony sneakers,  I have been overjoyed with the Ride 8. They are neutral cushioning and I only wear them for shorter distances, but with my SofSole insert and my heel securely snug, I'm truly pleased!! 



And now....glimpses of South Dakota and Wyoming, from October.
Obvious…..Mount Rushmore!! YAY! I made it:) 





Trains and Pie shops….
Oregon trail and I'm on part of the trail rut.



Along the Wyoming highway…..


Local Wyoming diner.




Couldn't resist this pic. A saloon CLOSED for the season!! Hmmm….
A lot of places were closed for the season, as we drove through towns to the scenic highway in the Black Hills. Never made it to the Badlands but one thing you have to realize, you drive great distances to theses places out West, so we skipped it.
Also, ran on the Mickelson Trail. I think goes about 65 miles which once was a….yup you guessed it…a RR line!! (lots of bike riders on the trail).

Now it's back to the grind as I continue my "restart"….recharge….in the Boston area.
Looking forward to Turkey Day and NO RACE!!!!!!!!!!

Upcoming Races:
*Winter Classic 5K (Cambridge)
*Frosty Half Marathon (Raynham) Check out Colonial Road Runners website for details.


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Check out that I have a new blog name too:)

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great time on your trip back home! Love that you are keeping to a schedule as you get reoganized. So disciplined! Can't wait to see how it all pans out... keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elle! It truly means a lot. I'm back to a "sort of new" blog name: One Tough Cookie Chick. Just so you know:) Hope you and the Capt are well!

      Delete
    2. We are! AND I forgot to mention that I love the new name you have chosen for your blog. Suits you to a T (tough but sweet, right?)

      Delete
  3. I'm liking the new blog name. Welcome back to the Boston area - hopefully our paths will cross at a race soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are back to your normal self! Sometimes it takes a while to get back into certain habits and it can be frustrating if it takes longer than you think. However, it sounds like you are busy, but have a good mix of things going on in your life! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete